Sunday, November 21, 2010

The 30 day lettuce box!

The weather has turned cool here in Florida. Cool enough to actually not sweat when outdoors. Cool enough to grow lettuce!





Other than my little patio garden I enjoy helping others grow their own favorites. At my b/f's house I am able to grow a bit more than at my house, so I have been enjoying the opportunity. I recently commandeered a nice 1'x3' planter which I sectioned off with unused tiles that were in his back yard. I then planted 2 of the 4 sections with mixed leaf lettuce, 1 with arugula, and one with spinach.



Each of these varieties only takes 30 days till your first harvest. The spinach will also take 30 days, but you can take it to about 40-45 days for more mature spinach which is better for cooking with.

These leafy plants are also a great fast growing veggie for kids to grow (as they are about as impatient as me). They grow great in the cool winters we have here in Florida. I enjoy taking advantage of the year round growing season. In just about 30 days you too can enjoy an awesome salad like this. We added blueberries and pears... it was AWESOME! I have actually never tasted better arugula, so peppery and not overly bitter.

Just remember that after the initial trim, the leaf lettuce and arugula will grow more leaves providing multiple yummy SUPER fresh salads. I also have a yellow pear tomato planted to eventually go in my salad mix! :) Can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment